I was looking back over the past year and realizing that this project of A to Z has consumed 9 months. This writing by letter of the alphabet was not supposed to be this challenging. It was not supposed to be this torture. So much has happened over the last year. We’ve made some good friends, and lost some very dear ones. We’ve made strides in our health only to have further setbacks. We’ve fought what feels like uphill battles, and imagine that, we are still very much alive.
People talk about the phenomena of the “New Year’s Resolution.” I’ve never been one to set myself up for that kind of failure 🙂 But I do think that goals are a good thing. The “Bucket List” awaits.
What do I want to do this new year? I think one item per month of something new or something long since forgotten should spring forth. 12 of them for the calendar year. So let this be my DR bucket list …
- I would love to go on a horseback ride, not the trail rides but on a real horse that listens and is not “automatic.” I’m not interested in following. I would love to be free on the beach to ride into the water. Whilst I may not really be physically able, I just want one last time astride. Please though, make it a docile mare as I no longer have the strength to reign in a wild stallion.
- I hear that Puerto Plata has a cable car. That I would like to do. The view is spectacular from what I have heard.
- While there in Puerto Plata I would like to visit Ocean World and see about swimming with the sharks.
- I would like to go fishing, but with a real rod and reel. Not with a coke bottle and string as I’ve seen the locals do.
- I would like to travel more. To Barahona to see the views and the sea there before tourism ruins it.
- To see Bahía de Las Águilas and Pedernales while in the west and partake in some of the tourist activities.
- … and off to the other side of the island to the pristine beaches of Miches. It would be lovely to tent out there, but is it really tenting if I use a foam mattress?
- Ridiculous as this sounds, I would love to go walking in the mountains and explore the wild side and learn more about the flora and fauna of this island.
- I would love to explore the Samana peninsula in depth. I here there’s a tree house hotel out there that would be cool to visit. The wild side, solitary, no big hotels, no commercialism, just nature. Ahhh to feel at peace.
- I would love to see the Dominican Republic Ballet perform and explore the museums and galleries in Santo Domingo
- I would love to spend an entire day at Altos de Chavon with my camera and do a photo shoot with some lovelies that I know. Or better yet enroll in their art school (now, that is a huge dream). The pictured donkey is a tourist grab there, but I loved it anyways 🙂
- And even though I live on the island, I would love a holiday at one of the hotels, maybe in Punta Cana or Bayahibe.
I haven’t touched on many areas and only because I’ve been there and not interested in repeating them at this time. Do over’s can be for a future date. Will simply have to see what happens, if dreams really do come true. There is a lot more to this country than meets the traveler’s eye. We none of us now what time we have left, so, with that precious thought I believe it’s time to live a little after all we none of us are getting out alive.
So, let’s ring in the New Year with a bucket list of dreams to fulfill. Cheers and may all of your dreams and wishes come true in 2016!
Listen to the palms…
© Loca Gringa and https://locagringa.wordpress.com